Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Roger Ballen




Roger Ballen is without doubt one ofe the most unique beings in contemporary photography. His images are painterly and sculptural in ways not immediately associated with photographs. Roger Ballen´s photographs show a personal universe, filled with strange forms and animals, of intense beauty. Joerg Colberg had the opportunity to speak with Roger about his work and its background.

snippet:
During 2003 the nature of my work started to change dramatically. I started to deliberately avoid including the faces of my subjects in my photographs as I felt there were other aspects of my images that could not come to the forefront as long as direct human presence existed in the images.

The formal qualities of my photographs have always been crucial to the overall meaning of my images. On many occasions I have mentioned 'that the forms in my images create the content.' When ones refers to form in my images it comprises a whole host of variables such as texture, tone, lines, shapes, all of which interact in organic fashion to create a layered, complex meaning. Most importantly, the forms must be clear and to the point; but it is my hope that the end result of composing these relationships is to create an essence of ambiguity.













previously



go here for the full conversation

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...